By Janet Baker
OOPA Executive Director
On Monday, March 30th, Governor Kate Brown signed SB-152 into law ensuring that Oregon ODs continue to have the legal right to prescribe Hydrocodone combination drugs within your practice scope. OOPA proposed this legislation because of the FDA reclassification of Hydrocodone to the more restrictive Schedule II, thereby removing it from the nontopical optometric formulary Oregon optometric physicians are allowed to prescribe.
The passage of this bill is a clear example of the power and importance of grassroots activism and legislative advocacy facilitated by OOPA. This is the best of your membership dues at work. Nearly 40 of your OD colleagues met personally with nearly the same number of legislators to promote passage of SB152. Drs. Nicole Rush and Scott Walters testified in committee on your behalf. OOPA’s lobbying team worked tirelessly to educate legislators on the importance of maintaining the right to prescribe needed pain relief to corneal abrasions and other acute injuries and diseases of the eye for a short period of time.
SB152 amends the statute to include language specifically authorizing the use of hydrocodone combinations by optometric physicians. This will ensure that your patients can continue to receive the current quality of care without the increased cost of going to an additional health care provider for a hydrocodone combination pain medication. Without this legislation, patients in rural and surgical setting would be especially impacted.
Take time to:
1. Thank your OOPA board members and key persons for taking time away from their practices to advocate on your behalf.
2. Thank your legislator for serving, and express appreciation for listening to their constituents.
3. Renew your membership in OOPA to ensure our continued ability to advocate through legislator education and lobbying.
4. If you’re not a member, please join us. Your practice benefits from the work of the OOPA and its legislative advocacy efforts. Your support makes continued efforts possible. Visit http://www.
5. Celebrate a well earned victory!”
6. Visit www.oregonoptometry.org and make a contribution to OOPAC as we have two more bills pending that require significant grassroots and lobbying efforts.”